Four Years On, Selena Still Impacts
By RAMIRO BURR
Special to Ondanet
CORPUS CHRISTI - The late Tejano superstar Selena was a powerful force whose influence still resonates far beyond the Southwest, according to Univision TV talk show host Cristina Saralegui.
"Musically, she helped spread the popularity of Tejano all over the U.S. and even into Latin American countries. And as a role model, she motivates all the kids who want to pursue their dreams," Saralegui said.
Also in town recently for the festivities were Broadway producers Thomas J. Quinn and Forbes Chandlish, who are finalizing plans for the upcoming "Selena the Musical," a national stage production scheduled to open in San Antonio this fall.
"The story of Selena hits a nerve with people," said Chandlish, the show's executive producer. "She came from a family that struggled, and she overcame a lot to get to that crossover dream."
For a Selena photo, more details on the musical, A.B. Quintanilla's new CD and his new club in downtown Corpus, see Ramiro Burr's new reports at www.express-news.com, or go direct to a full version of this story at: Selena's legacy
New limited edition Selena CD due out March 9 with commemorative "rose" pin
All My Hits - Todos Mis Exitos
SELENA LINE EXPANDS TO CHILDRENS SIZES
Dallas, Texas, July 17, 1998: Recent success with a market test of the Selena Spring Collection at 50 Sears Stores has prompted tne retailer to expand the junior sportswear to 160 stores nationwide. Moreover Sears has ordered childern sizes for the back-to-school season in early September. Jerell Inc. Dallas-based manufacture and licenscee for the Selena label, has received orders from other national retailers, including JC Penneys.
According to Jerell President, Ed Vierling, "The response from the public exceeded our expectation and we are very pleased. Whenever you can achieve a double-digit sell-through in 10 days without advertising, you have the making of a real winner!"
"We are thrilled with the impact that the Selena line has already made at tje store level," exclaimed Suzette Quintanilla Arraiga. "Initial responses from consumers attest to the fact that the line has both a multi-cultural and muiti-generation appeal, therefore great potential for expansion."
The Summer 1998 Collection consists of denim bottoms with novelty tees and tops. The denim bottoms include jeans, skirts and shorts. The line is aimed at the junior market and very affordable: under $40 retail.
The back-to-school orders are impressive as well. Both Sears and JC Penneys have placed sizable orders for September shipment for the junior and children lines. Price ranges for the children's sizes will average about $20 and nothing over $39 retail.
In additon to its U.S. distribution, the Selena line is currently available in Puerto Rico and Mexico. Additional product lines in development include junior and girls dresses.
Since her untimely death in l995, the spirit and mystique of Selena continues to influence a growing segment of the population in tht U.S. and abroad. Although she is best known as a singer, fashion was her passion. She designed clothes for her boutiques in San Antonio and Corpus Christi. After her death, consumer demand prompted the Quintanilla family to seek methods of mass production. Last year they signed a licensing agreement with Jerell, Inc. in Dallas.
For more information, Contact Marcos Rincon at Rincon Communications 214/750-0670.
or call Jerell at 1-800-727-5815 ext 712
Selena's first car, a 1990 Mitsubishi that she sold to her cousin Veronica Vasquez, is up for sale. Ms. Vasques is asking for $200,000.
- Mr. Quintanilla is planning on opening a Selena Gallery at the newly remodeled Q Productions studio.
- Tuesday, March 31th - Despierta America: Mr. Quintanilla
- Tuesday, March 31th - Primer Impacto: Selena Special
- Sunday, March 29th - "Behind The Music" (VH1) 11am & 9pm EST A one hour special - Selena's Killer Is Interviewed behind Bars Along With All Her Family
- Tuesday, March 31st - (Selena's 3 year death) Watch For A Selena Special On E Entertainment (E!) 9pm EST
- Sunday, April 5th - "The Selena Video Collection" Will Air On VH1 (Time unknown)
- Tuesday, April 7th - The New Selena Album Called "Selena Anthology" Will be Released
Selena Anthology CL-94110 $20.98(Cassette) - $34.98(CD)
3 CD BOX SET,INCLUDES UNRELEASED SONGS.
Due out at the end of this month will be a three CD set with 10 songs done with mariachi, 10 songs done as cumbias, and 10 pop songs-some in Spanish & some in English.
Get yours from Ritmo y Mas
- There will be a Selena special on VH1 "BEHIND THE MUSIC", on Sunday,
March 29th at:
- The Selena movie will be out on March 24, 1998 on sale for $19.98
Selena Porcelain Statue
- Jennifer Lopez will be lipsynching to Selena's songs in the movie, but Jennifer Peña will be singing Selena's earlier songs since there were no clean recordings of Selena when she was young. But none of Jennifer's singing from the movie will be on the soundtrack. Live tracks from the Alamodome concert will be used in the film. The soundtrack is expected to hit the stores on March 11, ten days before the national debut of the movie.
- State District Judge Mike Westergen has decided that Yolanda Saldivar does not deserve a new trail because the records she said were missing never were admitted into evidence. Yolanda is not eligible for parole until the year 2015.
- Yolanda Saldivar had a evidentiary hearing yesterday in Houston, Tx.
to determine if she could get a new trail based on some missing box with
Judge Mike Westergen has until January 30 to submit a recommendation to the appeals court.
Carlos Valdez said there is no missing box because it was never admitted as evidence. Mr. Quintanilla said that this was a waste of time and taxpayer's money.
- Here is the latest I've
received from Q-Productions:
- The Selena Doll project is going well and should be on the market by spring of next year.
- The Selena Perfume is selling very well, and we do have plans to sell this item on the Web.
- A new Selena Screen Saver will be produce by us in the coming months for possible sales on the web or down loading from the Selena Foundation Web site.
- The Selena movie is schedule to come out around March 21st and the soundtrack around February 25th.
- On Saturday, Dec. 7, The Entertainment Channel E!, is having a special
docudrama "The Selena Murder Trial: The E! True Hollywood Story", which will
be a mixture of footage of the real Selena, dramatizations
of key moments between Yolanda and a re-enactment of Saldivar's Houston trial.
It will contain three versions of the tragedy itself from the perspective of three witnesses, the maid, the desk clerk and Yolanda.
Bert Quintanilla, Marketing Director of Q Production and cousin of Abraham Quintanilla, said they weren't happy with the E! docudrama. But since the the movie was based on public information and the trial transcript, there wasn't anything they could do.
Lizzett Padilla, a Guatemalan-American, will portray Selena. This 23 year old actress also auditioned for the Selena movie but lost the part to Jennifer Lopez.
- Make sure you get your copy of TV Guide this week!
- Mr. Quintanilla has filed a wrongful death and gross negligence lawsuit
on behalf of his wife and Selena's hushand, Chris Perez, against Yolanda
Saldivar, the woman convicted of killing his daughter, Selena.
The lawsuit accuses Yolanda Saldivar of "gross negligence" in the March 31, 1995, shooting of 23-year-old Selena Quintanilla Perez in a Corpus Christi hotel and asks for legal costs and other monetary relief from Yoland Saldivar.
In October 1995, Saldivar was found guilty of murdering Selena and sentenced to life in prison.
Attorney Patrick McGuire, who is handling Saldivar's appeal, said his client had no money and that he did not know what Selena's father, Abraham Quintanilla, was seeking.
Neither Quintanilla nor his attorney, Jaime Capelo, would comment. An attorney close to the case who asked not to be identified, said Quintanilla may be trying to prevent Saldivar from making any money off any books or movies.
- Yolanda Saldivar's family is now claiming that Selena was not shot by Yolanda. They are saying that Yolanda's hand gun had hollow point bullets, which means that if Selena was shot by it, it would have completely torn her up. They are also saying that the hospital records don't show what kind of bullet was used.
- Here's more from the Tejano Comment file from Terry:
Latest piece of news from the Selena movie set. Jennifer Lopez is getting married. Her boyfriend, Ojani Noa, proposed to her on his knees during a wrap-up party for the movie at a nightclub. so all you guys out there who were hoping, Jennifer's been spoken for. i don't know when the wedding is. by the way, I'm no longer in Virginia. I'm back in sunny, tropical Miami again. It's really good to be back home, although I'd like to be in Tejas someday.
- Cristina taped a show (with interviews of Selena's family and the actors playing their parts) which will air this coming Monday, Oct. 28 at 9pm central time on Univision.
- The following is a excerpt from the Caller-Times Interactive: NEWS Wednesday, Oct. 23, 1996 By LIBBY AVERYT
Missing records may jeopardize Yolanda Saldivar's conviction. The missing papers are related to embezzlement charges against Selena's killer. Last October, defense attorneys subpoenaed business records that belonged to Selena's father, Abraham Quintanilla Jr. These records were connected to an investigation of embezzlement allegations against Yolanda Saldivar. District Judge Mike Westergren had ruled that the defense was not entitled to see most of the records, which he then ordered sealed. That ruling is one of more than a dozen grounds on which Saldivar's defense attorney is basing her appeal. But those business records in question are now missing, according to attorneys and court personnel. Corpus Christi attorney Patrick McGuire, who is handling the appeal, says that because the records are missing, his client should receive a new trial.
- Selena news 10-22-96 "Siempre Selena" a new CD release set
for 10-29-96 will feature "Siempre hace frio" a recording
originally meant for the "Don Juan De Marco" O.S.T.. is a
Cuco Sanchez Ranchera classic. "Only love" arranged by A.B. and "Costumbres" from Juan Gabriel. Two other
releases in the Mariachi arrangement are "Como quisiera"
composed by A.B. and "Cien Anos" originally a Pedro Infante
hit. "Soy Amiga" written by Rick Vela, Los Dinos Keyboardist.
So look for this new release from EMI Latin, it is destined
to be another heavy hitter.
Selena Fever will never die.
Fantomas, Base 12, East L.A., CA.
- When asked about the new Selena CD due out in October, Mr. Quintanilla replied:
The new CD will have two tracks that the public have never heard before. The rest of the songs are different songs when Selena was 14, 16, 19... We redid the music. It turned out very nice.
- 1 song from when Selena was 14
- 2 songs from when she was 16
- 2 songs from when she was 19
- They're having a Selena casting for extras for her movie this Saturday from 10am to 6 pm in San Antonio. It'll be at the Handy Andy parking lot at Bandera and Woodlawn.
- Here are a few facts I got from Mr. Quintanilla:
- Selena Perfume: They just received a truck load of the 1st perfume that they have developed. They plan to test the market by providing the perfume at both Selena Etc. stores first for about 3-4 months. The first perfume, Amor Prohibido, was actually picked out by Selena herself before her death.
- Selena Barbie Doll: This is still in the planning stage being done by Henry Ramirez of Q Productions.
- Los Dinos farewell tour: This is stilling being planned, but will not happened until after the movie comes out. The movie is scheduled to come out around Selena's 2nd death anniversary. As mentioned in the Cristina show, the group got together to practice for the first time about 3 weeks ago since Selena's death. It was very emotional for everyone in the group.
- Chris Perez: Chris is in the process of putting together his own band. So far they don't have a name for the band and his Bass player will be La Mafia's ex-bass player.
- Miramar de Selena: Corpus Christi's Pavilion in the Bay Front being build does not involve Mr. Quintanilla or Q Productions. Mr. Quintanilla gave his approval for having this momument build, but is not involved in the drive by Corpus Christi to raise funds. Any money lefted over from the fund drive will be donated to the Selena Foundation. The Selena Mural is being fully funded by Dusty Murail (sp?), an individual who has always support Selena and Hispanic in general.
- Cristina's Special: Mr. Quintanilla was very pleased with the interview done by Cristina. He said that Cristina has always been nice to the family and has always stuck to the facts unlike other reporters he has interviewed with.
- Here's who got the parts to play Selena in the upcoming movie.
- Pete Astudillo was schedule to play in Monterrey, Mx. this Friday, June 21, but it has been re-schedule to be sometime in July now.
- Los Dinos last tribute tour is still being planned, but no date has been set.
- Suzette of Los Dinos is managing the Selena Etc. boutique in Corpus Christi.
- Chris Perez is just playing whenever he's invited by some group to play.
- The role for the younger Selena has been reduced from over 20,000 down to 6. All contenders are from Texas. The winner will be announced at a news conference scheduled for Tuesday, June 18.
- Jennifer Lopez to play Selena in the upcoming movie Selena. Click here for more information.
- The latest news on the Selena movie is that it will be released
in November, right on time for the holidays, according to EMI's Jose
Behar. Also, a new Selena CD will be released at about the same time.
The CD will contain Selena recordings which were never released.
Mr. Behar's interview was in tonight's Puro Tejano program, which
featured Selena interviews dating back to January 1993. It was
a special program in honor of Selena's birthday which is coming up
Tuesday. I had never seen alot of the footage shown tonight, it was
great to see "new" material about Selena. As always, she was joking
around and laughing through most of the material.
- Primer Impacto just announced that in about 2-3 weeks, Selena's first perfume, Amor Prohibido will be on sale. Three others will follow soon. The last one will be just for kids named Bidi Bidi Bom Bom
- Today from Associated Press: Officials with Seaside Memmorial Park
and Funeral Home said they gave Mr. Abraham Quintanilla the photos and negatives
of the pictures as soon as they learned about it.
Seaside Vice President Debbie Newman said, "We believe this lawsuit is without merit as to Seaside. We are disappointed that ... we are being forced to defend this lawsuit."
The family alleges that an employee photographed Selena's body and sold copies.
The pictures were taken last April, shortly after Selena was shot and killed as March 31, 1995. A janitor, who also was a fan, took four pictures while Selena laid in her casket in a secure area of the funeral home.
- According to Wire Reports Selena's family filed a lawsuit against the Seaside Memorial Park and Funeral Home. They're accusing an employee of the funeral home of taking pictures of Selena's body and then selling copies of it. The family said that those photos haven't been published anywhere.
- Mr. Quintanilla was on Entertainment Tonight last night. He seemed very
irritated by Joe Nick Patoski (sp?) new biography book on Selena: Como La Flor.
He has the book on a shelf and said that he hasn't looked at it and wouldn't
look at it. He ask people not to buy and read the book either. There will
be an authorize biography book on Selena around November, said Mr.
The following information was provided by Sandra Hernandez on the Selena Comment section:
- I want to inform people that in LAREDO, TX there will be a candle light vigil on Sunday 3/31/96 at the Sam Club parking lot from 7-9 CST. The announcers on Tejano 93.3 said they would show video from Selena's concerts and hand out commerative Selena stickers. I went there over Spring Break, but wish I could be there this weekend.
- Also, here in my own town (Galveston), we are having a Selena tribute on Saturday 3/30/96 from 7-?? at the MOODY CIVIC CENTER,21 & SEAWALL, in Galveston, TX where Micheal Salgado and PETE ASTUDILLO are performing.
- In Dallas, Texas:
- KICK-FM is having a candle light vigil on Mar 31, from 6pm - 9pm at Reverchon Park off of Maple Ave. They will also have an exclusive Selena only music program that day on the radio. Everyone is encouraged to place a purple ribbon on their car, truck or van's antenna as of now, in honor of Selena.
- Please send email to me at WebJefe@OndaNet.com on information of any events being held in your area related to Selena's 1st anniversary of her death to post here in the Selena News.
A couple of messages left in the Selena Comment file by some of our web site visitors:
- A newspaper in Monterrey, Mexico, "El Norte" has some very interesting revelations about Selena and her relationship with her dad Abraham Quintanilla. It has input from Dr. Ricardo Martinez, a plastic surgeon in Monterrey who performed liposuction treatments on not only Selena, but her sister Suzette, as well as her uncle Isaac Quintanilla, who now runs her boutiques. Dr. Martinez confirms that all was not well at home as well as other things. The newspaper also has input from one Sebastian D'Silva, who worked with Dr. Martinez. D'Silva claims that Mr. Quintanilla owes him money and that Quintanilla once threatened him. He also talks about Yolanda Saldivar and Dr. Martinez, and the role they both played in Selena trying to expand her boutiques in Mexico. D'Silva also talks about other things I will not mention here. The family of Yolanda Saldivar have in their possession Selena's diary, where she wrote her most intimate thoughts. They plan on revealing it to the public very soon. They say that the truth will be told and that everyone will finally know what kind of man Abraham Quintanilla really is. I already have my opinion. He's your typical star dad maybe much worse. La pobre Selena. Gee, Mr. Quintanilla which was more important, Selena or the money and the bloody recording studio?!! I'm absolutely disgusted with Mr. Quintanilla. Too bad that anything of Selena her fans may buy, the proceeds will go to him.
Gee, and I also wonder why we haven't heard from any other member of the family, and anything they say seems to have been from a script written by the tyrant himself. Anytime there is a group interview, he does all the talking, and no one else dares to say anything.
El Norte has a web address. It is http://www.infosel.com.mx/elnorte
Whether the allegations of Dr. Martinez, D'Silva and the Saldivar family are true or not, the truth will come out. They who live in glass houses should not throw stones. Mr. Quintanilla is very critical of many people, the press, and even those who worked with Selena when she was alive (excluding Yolanda), accusing them of terrible things. Yet, the old man seems to have something to hide. I wonder what it is.
- The latest Selena biography, "Selena:Como La Flor" (published by Little,
Brown and Company) will be in book stores March 31, 1996.
Tonight I attended a program at the San Antonio Public Library
held in celebration of Texas Writers Month. I read in
Sunday's Newspaper that Joe Nick Patoski the biographer of "Selena:
Como La Flor" would be one of four writers participating in this event
and that he would be reading excerpts from the book.
The book includes a history of Tejano Music and its evolution.
The excerpt Mr. Patoski read included the time when the Quintanilla's
used to have the restaurant in Lake Jackson, Texas and how Selena started
singing English songs, etc.
Also about how a sample of the Selena fragrance had been mailed to Yolanda
last year but she never turned over to Selena. Selena actually found out from
a Mr. Young that he had already mailed the sample to Yolanda yet Yolanda had
not mentioned anything to Selena. That is what finally convinced Selena that maybe
what her Dad had been telling her about Yolanda was true, this was about a year ago
according to Mr. Patoski. Selena was torn between two people who wanted
to cotrol her life, on one side her father tried time and time again
to convince Selena that she needed to get rid of Yolanda. On the other
hand Yolanda tried to controlled everything having to do with the boutiques
to the point that she would fire whomever disagreed with her or she
just did not like. Ironically they thought that Selena's life
depended on them when in reality their lives really depended
I think that this is a great book and definitely recommend it.
Mr. Patoski grew up in Forth Worth, Texas and he has always
enjoyed Texas Music. In 1994 he had a 45 minute interview with
Selena for an article in Texas Monthly.
- EMI Latin has begun awarding student scholarships in December in honor of Selena through the "The Selena EMI Scholarship Fund". Read more about it in the EMI Latin's EMI Times
- Selena casting information here.
From a Selena Web Page visitor:
- Corpus Christi is running a campaign to fund a bayfront pavilion, statue and mural that will memorialize Selena's contributions to the world of entertainment. People who donate $25 or more will received a framable limited edition artist's rendering of Selena. I don't yet have a phone number or address where donations can be sent. I will post it here when I get that information.
From a Selena Web Page visitor:
- "Primer Impacto" recently had a segment in which Mr. Quintanilla
said that he would like for Olga Tanon play the part of Selena
in the movie. He said she reminded him so much of Selena, the
way she sings and dances and the way she is always with a big
smile in her face. However, he did not know whether she knew
how to speak English. The host told him that being from Puerto
Rico, Olga Tanon does know English, since they speak English
in Puerto Rico. He also said that they will start filming the
movie in March.
- The local Univision affiliate also had a series on Selena called
"Un Ano Despues". Suzette Q. Arriaga confirmed that Los Dinos will
go on a tour one last time as a tribute to Selena starting in June,
then they will disband.
- Selena left behind an album full of fashion designs and will
be used to make merchandise for the Selena Etc., boutiques.
- Finally, Mr. Quintanilla revealed that there is one unreleased song by Selena. It is a song similar to "Tu Solo Tu" from her album "Dreaming of You", una cancion ranchera, and is titled "Siempre Ase Frio".
From a Selena Web Page visitor:
- Some time back somebody asked who was running the Selena Boutiques.
"Primer Impacto" had a segment on the Selena Etc. boutiques and
they said that Isaac Quintanilla (Selena's uncle) and Suzette
are running the boutiques.
- They also said that People will soom be hearing from
Selena, "Muy pronto oiran de Selena". But they
were refering to Selena's catalog. It seems like a new catalog
is coming out and will soon be mailed out to the people. Also,
another catalog with new merchandise will be out this summer.
- A Selena doll might also be coming out soon according to
"Primer Impacto". Abrahm Quintanilla came out in the program
and was holding a Selena doll with a red outfit (same size
as a barbie doll). He said that people have been asking for
a Selena doll and that he might go ahead with it, he seemed
real happy. He also said "como dice un dicho: Selena tenia
muchos sartenes en el fuego!"
- One last item mentioned was that they were planning on coming out with perfumes with using some of Selena's popular song as their names.
From an article that someone sent me:
"They want Bibi to be Selena"
According to reports from Hollywood, there is a strong candidate to play the part of the recently slain singing star Selena, considered to be the Queen of Tejano music, in a film on her life that was prepared by the chicano producer Gregory Nava.
The parents of Selena - - who will produce the movie - - selected Mexican Bibi Gaytan for the final part in the casting that seeked the person best suited to put a little life into the filming of Selena, who would be murdered months later by the president of her fanclub.
The preference for Bibi is due to her physical similarity with that of Selena and to the fact the she's very popular among the Latin community in the United States, and those who follow her in Mexico.
But there's more than just similarities, it is said that she has greater advantage on the rest of the candidates because she has proven to be great at singing too, which will help in making the scenes of Selena's musical arrangements.
It's still to be seen if they're planing on casting someone to play the part of radio shock-jock Howard Stern. [Probably not, since the film will not have any part related to her murder. -amh]
- "Salma said NO"
The actress from Vera Cruz, Salma Hayek, to whom Gregory Nava had offered to play the part of the deceased Selena, declined to work in the movie on the life of the Tejano Queen, since the memory of Forbidden Love and The Carcacha is still very fresh in the memory of the latin people of the United States, for who the singer was a symbol.
"I will definitely not go to make the movie of Selena. Her death is too recent to make a film on her life, and I believe that neither I nor nobody else can make a film that would be as good as her. Nobody can substitute her.", it said Salma.
[Note: I had a hard time translating the above article, that was originally written in Spanish, to English. Please forgive me if some parts of it doesn't make any sense. -amh]
- Here's the article in Spanish for anyone who prefers to read it that way.
- Sometime tonight, Arsenio Hall is having a special tribute to entertainers that passed away in 1995. Selena will be included in that tribute.
- The Tejano Music Awards will also have a tribute to Selena during the XVI TMA ceremony.
- In the Tejano Music Awards, Selena was nominated for:
- Song of the Year (Tu Solo To)
- Female Entertainer and Female Vocalist of the Year
- Album of the Year Overall
- Showband of the Year
- Tejano Crossover (I Could Fall In Love)
- Selena won the Female of the Year, Regional/Mexicano Song of the Year, Album of the Year in the Premio Lo Nuestro. Selena's father, sister and husband received the awards. They all shedded a few tears when accepting the awards. I'm not sure if this is from a prerecorded video earlier in the year or not.
- State District Judge Mike Westergren said that Ms. Maria Norma Martinez's
theft conviction that was not revealed during the Oct. trial was "somewhat problematic"
and that the matter should be considered by an appeals court.
Judge Mike Westergren was the same judge who presided over the original trial.
One of Ms. Saldivar's lawyers had contented that knowledge of Ms. Martinez's record would have tarnished her credibility as a witness.
Defense attorney Patrict J. McGuire said, "We feel confident that with the matters that were presented at that hearing as well as some matters that arose during trial, such as the admissibility of the confession, that at some point an appellate court will grant a new trail in this case."
Other things that Ms. Saldivar's attorneys contended were that prosecutors kept financial documents of Selena's salon businesses from being admitted during trial and were able to hint at suspicions that were never proved. Also, documents were never introduced to prove that Ms. Saldivar was embezzling from the Selena Etc. business.
It may take over a year before an appeals court reviews this matter to consider granting a new trail for Ms. Saldivar who is now in a state women's prison in Gatesville since November. She will not be eligible for parole until at least in 30 years.
- On Jan 30, 1996 a new fund-raising recording of the musical West Side Story will be released. Selena sings A Boy Like That on this recording. The profits from the all-star recording will go toward arts education.