The following news are from different sources that I
personally typed in and do not in anyway reflect my opinion.
I do not represent any company or products mentioned below.
- There is a new Tejano talent search program called "Camino a Fama"
(The Road to Fame). It is similar to the Star Search program and
its purpose is to promote and support Tejano music. Categories
2. Tejana Female Singer
3. International Pop
The first program will be taped here in San Antonio, the Hollywood
of Tejano Music, and will air later this month in major metropolitan
areas including Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, and El Paso.
If you have the talent and would like to participate you can call
(210) 656-8400 for more info. They will also accept recordings,
audio or video. The prize will be a record deal with a major
recording company and you must be able to go on tour.
- Here is a partial list that I've personally compiled of bands that will
be performing during San Antonio's Fiesta Week. Unless otherwise noted
the bands are playing at:
Event: Tejano Explosion II
Place: La Gran Jamaica at Cattleman Square
(Houston and Frio Streets Intersection)
Time: 6:00 pm (gates open at 4pm, free admission before 6)
Phone: (210) 227-5191
Th 18 Roberto Pulido y Los Clasicos
Fri 19 Los Dos Gilbertos, Los Aguilares
Sat 20 Bobby Pulido, Johnny Martinez, Joel Nava, Lety Lugo, Clarissa y Lo Maximo
(at Fiesta Oyster Bake, St. Mary's Univ., (210) 436-3547, $8 admission)
Sun 21 Ram Herrera, Eddie Gonzales, Libety Band, Paul V. and Southern Wind, Grupo Exito
(at Spring Jam, Our Lady of the Lake Univ., (210) 434-6711)
Mon 22 Pete Astudillo, Jennifer Pena y Los Jetz
Tue 23 Jay Perez, Los Desperados
Wed 24 Ruben Ramos, Fandango USA
Th 25 Michael Salgado, The Tall Boys
Fri 26 TBA
Sat 27 Hometown Boys
There will also be a free Mariachi Festival at the San Antonio Riverwalk from
the 23rd through 26th, 7 to 10 pm.
AWARDED GOLD ALBUM
A capacity crowd filled Hallabaloos Club in Houston, Texas on Wednesday, February 14th for the presentation of Roberto Pulido's gold album for "Te Vi Partir". The album produced such mega-hits as "Ya Ahora Es Tarde", "Te Vi Partir" and "La Tumba". Roberto thanked his fans for their support in achieving the gold album.
Roberto Pulido has become known for consistently putting out hits that tejano fans have come to demand. "El Primo" has also been burning up the touring circuit promoting his latest release "Toro Prieto" which is also the title of the first single. The next single set for release is "Se Me Cerro El Mundo" which is a duet with Johnny Canales.
The site was a sold out show at Randy's Ballroom in San Antonio, Texas on Saturday, February 17th, Tropa F'S first gold album on EMI Latin. "Un Nuevo Nivel" is their first release on EMI Latin and the album achieved gold on pre-sale alone. Due to the demand for the album it is headed for platinum.
The first release off of "Un Nuevo Nivel" is the hit "Juan Sabor", (currently at #6 on Billboards TOP 40 List), Which has shot up the music charts across the country. radio statIons are reporting that "Juan Sabor" is without a doubt the hottest release thus far in 1996. Tropa F also released a video of the single and video programs as well as clubs are receiving requests to air the video over and over again.
News left on the Tejano comment section:
- Jennifer Pena y los Jetz be in concert this Saturday again in the San Antonio area
(at The Patio in Floresville, starting at nine).
Also in concert this Sunday will be Little Joe, "El Gato Negro"
Ruben Ramos, Nick Villareal, Johnny Martinez and others at Camargo Park,
starting at noon, FREE admission until five.
- Okay, you all know how good this album is. I never knew how good it was...until now. Here's what I think:
ALBUM TITLE: AMOR PROHIBIDO
(review condensed to save space):
"...maintains a smooth, consistent flow of upbeat Latin grooves packed with Tex-Mex rhythms and sensuous overtones...Selena has the voice of an angel and polishes it throughout with so much happiness and passion; it makes the listener want to fall in love with her...her songs are filled with so much joy, so much understanding...an album that strikes the right chords and will convince anyone who is--and is not--a fan of Latin music that Selena is the Queen of Tejano...she will sorely be missed..."
ROBYN'S RATING: 4.5 MICS--SUPERIOR
- In this week's issue of Billboard Magazine (Latin Notas) there is a little
piece on Shelly lares and Elida Y Avante. Both Shelly and Elida have just
been signed to Sony. Elida was with Voltage Entertainment which is distributed
by Sony Discos. Now she is officially with Sony. Sony is badly trying to find
a tejana who can fill the gap left by Selena at EMI Latin. Insiders say Elida
is more likely to sell more records than Shelly Lares. Shelly is moving towards
country music. I've heard one of her country songs, I wasn't too impressed.
She is doing a duet with Vince Gill and one in Spanish with....(I'm sorry I
forgot. I read the magazine in the store, I didn't buy it). Shelly's new
album with Sony is due out in May of this year. I'm looking forward to
hearing Elida's new album whenever it comes out. I like Elida's voice.
- Hello, it's me again, Robyn Barnette, writing to the Tejano page. Check out
one of my music reviews:
ALBUM TITLE: EN EXTASIS
(review condensed to save space):
"...has a vocal passion that brings out the sex kitten in her...tight, funky dance grooves show that she can make the crossover to American music, though overshadowed by some other Spanish performer who was about to make that crossover...the attitude in her voice, and music, proves Thalia's no fake... she could be called 'The Mexican Mariah'..."
ROBYN'S RATING: 3.5 MICS--DOPE
- Today from Associated Press: Officials with Seaside Memmorial Park
and Funeral Home said they gave Mr. Abraham Quintanilla the photos and negatives
of the pictures as soon as they learned about it.
Seaside Vice President Debbie Newman said, "We believe this lawsuit is without merit as to Seaside. We are disappointed that ... we are being forced to defend this lawsuit."
The family alleges that an employee photographed Selena's body and sold copies.
The pictures were taken last April, shortly after Selena was shot and killed as March 31, 1995. A janitor, who also was a fan, took four pictures while Selena laid in her casket in a secure area of the funeral home.
- According to Wire Reports Selena's family filed a lawsuit against the Seaside Memorial Park and Funeral Home. They're accusing an employee of the funeral home of taking pictures of Selena's body and then selling copies of it. The family said that those photos haven't been published anywhere.
- La Tropa F and Flaco Jimenez will be participating at San Antonio's Conjunto Festival, May 12 at Rosedale Park.
- Fiesta San Antonio 1996 will be held from Friday, April 19 through Sunday, April 28. Bands participating will be posted later.
- I found it interesting that the La Onda Network Tejano Music WWW Poll had almost the same results as the TMA. The differences were: Traditional Conjunto Album which went to Los Chamacos with Como Te Llemas Paloma instead of Michael Salgado for Cruz de Madera and Tejano Video of the Year which went to David Lee Garza with Tonta instead of Emilio's Lucero De Mi Amor.
- Also, where was Shelly Lares???
- Read more about the 16th Annual TMA here.
- The very beautiful & talented actress/singer Maria Conchita Alonso will be hosting the 16th Annual Tejano Music Awards that's being held on March 23, 1996 in San Antonio, TX. For some information on Maria checkout Steve Turner's web site.
- Bring Latin Music to your Libraries! Here's a great free offer from
Columbia House Club Musica Latina: Musica
Para Todos. (Submitted by Sandra Padilla).
The following was submitted by a THP visitor:
- Did you know that Stephanie Lynn sings backup vocals in Selena's Amor Prohibido album? The CD lists her, Rick Alvarez, and Rock 'n' Roll James from Puro Tejano under Coros (Chorus). You can hear Stpehanie Lynn's voice in Cobarde, Tus Desprecios and Bidi Bidi Bom Bom.
- Rock 'n' Roll James and A.B. Quintanilla III are the rappers in Techno-Cumbia, Puro Tejano replayed a program in which they had interviewed Selena and A.B. while they were recording Techno Cumbia.
- Ricardo Castillon from La Differenzia was featured in Saturday's Puro Tejano. The interview was taped prior to his 60,000 plus sold out performance at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo and they showed the band practicing for the performance. He said that one of the biggest sources of inspiration for him was his brother who passed away in a tragic accident. His brother used to play bass guitar with them but died in a car accident about three and half years ago. Ricardo also would like to one day be in a movie.
- Also from the Tejano Country program, all 10 songs in the next album by Mazz are Mariachi songs so if you like Mariachi you will really enjoy this album.
- The Grammy results are in and winners are:
- Pop: Amor by Jon Secada
- Tropical: Abriendo Puetras by Gloria Estefan
- Mexican-American Flaco Jimenez by Flaco Jimenez
- Instrumental: Los Lobos
- Latin: Antonio Brasileiro by Antonio Carlos Jobim
- Other Categories
- Reggae: Boombastic by Shaggy
- Polka album: I Love to Polka by Jimmy Sturr
From a Tejano Home Page visitor:
- Last night's Puro Tejano show featured Elida y Avante. I only caught the last part of the show and she said the group has been together for about four years now. A new CD was suppose to have come out in February but they had to post pone the release until March to make some improvements. She will be at the Tejano Music Awards as she has been nominated for several awards (see nominees for the Tejano Music Awards in the Tejano Home Page). One of their music videos will be released in March too, with two others to follow later.
- The top 3 finalist for the 16th Annual Tejano Music Awards have been decided. And who leads with the most numbers? It's Selena & Emilio. Selena nabbed 6 categories, while Emilio got 7 of the categories.
- Last year, Ex-Governor Ann Richards was a special guest at the 15th Annual Tejano Music Awards, this year it's Governor George Bush that will be a special guest at the 16th Annual Tejano Music Awards that's being held on March 23, 1996 in San Antonio at the Alamodome.
- Read about the Finalists for the Tejano Video of the Year Awards here.
- Added the 16th Annual Tejano Music Awards Nominees
for the following categories:
- SONG OF TNE YEAR
- MOST PROMISING BAND
- MALE ENTERTAINER OF THE YEAR
- FEMALE ENTERTAINER OF THE YEAR
- TEJANO VIDEO OF THE YEAR
From a Tejano Home Page visitor:
The following information is from Texas Highways magazine:
- The annual Tejano Conjunto Festival in San Antonio is held
after Cinco de Mayo at Rosedale Park, 342 Dartmouth Street.
Founder/director Juan Tejeda plans to feature more than 30
Tejano and conjunto groups. The family-oriented event offers
food booths and games for children, and honors inductees into
the Conjunto Music Hall of Fame. Admission prices:$3-$6 for
age 13 and older; free for age 12 and younger. Write to
Guadalupe Cultural Arts Center, 1300 Guadalupe Street, San
Antonio 78207; (210) 271-3151.
- Mexic-Arte Museum's annual Austin Downtown Conjunto Festival
takes place in early May near Cinco de Mayo at 419 Congress Ave.
Central Texas musicians entertain crowds during the family
event. Write to Box 2632, Austin 78768; (512) 480-9373.
Places to Visit:
- The Little Joe Museum, at 2903 S. General Bruce Drive in Temple,
celebrates Little Joe y La Familia. The museum displays the entertainers'
1992 Grammy Award, stage costumes, and musical instruments, and shows
videos of the group's performances. Hours: Mon-Fri 9-5.
Admission: Free. Write to 2903 S. General Bruce Drive, Temple
76504; (817) 773-1775.
From a Tejano Home Page visitor:
- On Friday, February 9, Stephanie Lynn (& High Energy?) will
be performing, along with Barrio Boyzz and others, at Our Lady
of the Lake University, San Antonio, Texas.
- Emilio Navaira will be performing at the San Antonio Livestock show and Rodeo, Sunday, February 11, 1996 at 1:00 pm and 7:30 pm. Also performing with Emilio will be Shelly Lares.
- Garth Brooks refused his "Favorite Artist of the Year" award last
night, saying, "I cannot agree with this. Without any disrespect to the fans
who voted for me, and for all the other [artists] who should be honored, I'm
gonna leave it right here,". Other winners simply failed to show up. This is
because the winners are too predictable. For example, the quartet Alabama won
country band honors for the 14th year in a row. Reba McEntire was named favorite
female country artist for the ninth year in a row. Skeptics say that the
American Music Awards have little or no meaning, since acts with the most
brandname recognition almost always win.
The same thing is happening with the Tejano Music Awards. A few years ago, some bands refused to participate in the awards because bands with the larger sponsors almost always won. It is very predictable who will win most of the awards. It is true that these bands are good, but when they win year after year, when some other groups are just as good, something is wrong.
I think a few things have changed since then. But, as long as the winners continue to thanks the sponsors at the time they receive the awards, I will always be suspicious. I think the Tejano Music Awards is the only awards show where the winners advertise their sponsor's product at time that they are receiving their awards.
- Sometime tonight, Arsenio Hall is having a special tribute to entertainers that passed away in 1995. Selena will be included in that tribute.
- The Tejano Music Awards will also have a tribute to Selena during the XVI TMA ceremony.
- Shelly Lares has signed an exclusive recording contract with Sony Discos.
The Texas Talent Musicians Association announced that La Prensa de San Antonio would serve as the official newspaper of the 16th Annual Tejano Music Awards.
La Prensa de San Antonio is published weekly by Duran Duran Industries, Inc., at 113 Lexington Ave., San Antonio, TX 78205 (210) 242-7900 (Fax) 242-7901 Subscription price in the U.S.A. $52.00 per year (52 issues).
From La Prensa:
The 12 finalists for the new Tejano Video of the Year are.
The judging for the top three videos will take place on Thursday, February 15
at San Antonio's La Villita Assembly Hall.
- Manny Music nominees for the Tejano Music Awards:
- Male Entertainer of the Year: Dee Burleson
- Female Entertainer of the Year: Delia Gonzales, Shelly Lares
- Female Vocalist of the Year: Delia Gonzales, Shelly Lares
- Vocal Duo of the Year: Joe & David Farias (La Tropa F)
- Album of the Year (Conjunto Progressive): Hermanos Hasta El Fin La Tropa F
- Album of the Year (Conjunto Progressive): Que Padre Los Padrez
- Tejano Country Song of the Year: Just When I Needed You Most La Tropa F
- Showband of the Year: La Tropa F, Culturas
- Album of the Year Overall: La Tropa F
- Instrumental of the Year: Mechanical Cowboy La Tropa F
- Producer of the Year: Manny Guerra
- On Superbowl Sunday, Jan. 28, Shelly Lares will be doing a benefit concert in San Antonio for her 12 year old cousin, Charles Luna. Charles has Leukemia and need funds to help toward his increasing medical expenses. They're hoping to raise $15,000. Charles turned 13 on January 17. His Leukemia was discovered last September.
Excerpts from the EMI Latin Emi Times Newsletter Vol. 1 No. 5
- Recently Emilio Navaira, his wife, Raulito and his wife went to the White House and had dinner with the president. Mexico's president was also there. The visit lasted from 6pm until around midnight.
- The group Mazz have been together for 14 years. The group formed in 1978. The principle singer, Joe Lopez and vocalist/guitar player, Jimmy Gonzales were born on the same day in the same hospital on August 28, 1950. They have been friend since they were 7 years old.
- Bobby Pulido, the son of popular Roberto Pulido, has join with EMI Latin. His three favorite pass times are: fishing, hunting, and playing billiards. He likes playing norteno, tejano and country music because he's very proud of his mexican and tejano roots.
- The five members of the Intocable group were all born in Zapata, TX. All friends since Jr. High school, they decided to form a group in 1993. The singer, Ricardo, has just turned 20.
Excerpts from the Manny Music Newsletter Vol III No 1
- Texas Latino is currently in the recording studio. They are putting the finishing touches on their new recording. Their CD is scheduled for release in Feb. 1996.
- New releases:
- Oscar G. - Tu Eres Mia
- Culturas - Siempre Contigo
- La Tropa F - Lo Mejor De La Tropa F
- Coming Soon:
- Shelly Lares - Lo Mejor De Shelly Lares
- Delia Gonzales - Simplemente Delia
- Dee - El Moreno
- La Tropa F has struck Gold with their CD entitled, "Hermanos Hasta El Fin.". The CD has surpassed 50,000 units in sales. La Tropa F received their Gold plaque at Tejano Redeo in San Antonio recently.
- Manny Music was the recipient of The Label of the Year Award. The presentation by SA/TMA Music Awards, was received by Patricia Horsford of Manny Music. The event was held at the Rock Island Club in San Antonio, TX in October.
- From the Associated Press: Latin Grammy Nominees
- Nuestras Canciones, Adolfo Angel & Gustavo Angel
- Hay Amores Y Amores, Rocio Durcal
- La Carretera, Julio Iglesias
- Cuando Los Angeles Lloran, Mana
- Amor, Jon Secada
- Todo a Su Tiempo, Marc Anthony
- Master Sessions Volume II, Cachao
- Tres La Tromenta, Willie Colon & Ruben Blades
- Irrepetible, Celia Cruz
- Abriendo Puertas, Gloria Estefan
- Lagrimas, Ramon Ayala y Sus Bravos Del Norte
- El Mexico Que Se Nos Fue, Juan Gabriel
- No Se Cansan!, Jaime y los Chamacos
- Flaco Jimenez, Flaco Jimenez
- Exitos En Vivo, La Mafia
- Country / Instrumental
- Cat Walk, Flaco Jimenez and Lee Roy
- Blues Albums / Traditional
- The Last Real Texas Blues Band, featuring Doug Sahm
- Nuestras Canciones, Adolfo Angel & Gustavo Angel
More bad luck for Freddy Fender.
This time his house in Corpus Christi caught
on fire. Firefighters were able to save most of the house, thanks to a passing
police officer on patrol that spotted the smoke. Other bad luck this artist has
encountered was his prison term for possession of marijuana, the deaths of two
band members in a bus accident and a 1983 bankruptcy. On the good side, in a 1991
comeback, his Texas Tornados won a Grammy Award for Soy de San Luis
in the Mexican-American category. He's most famous for the song Wasted Days and Wasted
- From the Dallas Morning News by Mario Tarradell:
- TOP 10 LATIN CONCERTS in the DFW area.
- Shelly Lares, Texas Stadium, May 6
- Jossie Esteban y La Patrulla 15, Club Babalu, Aug. 24,
- Jay Perez, Iguana Mirage, Feb. 14
- Tito Puente, Club Avaion, July 30
- Vicente and Alejandro Fernandez, Dallas Convention Center, Oct. 14
- Viva Tejas, Reunion Arena, July 16
- Julio Iglesias, Will Rogers Auditorium, Sept. 16
- Mana, Dallas Convention Center, Nov. 22
- Luis Miguel, Starplex, Oct. 19
- Emilio, State Fair of Texas, Oct. 22
- TOP 10 LATIN ALBUMS in the DFW area.
- Mana, Cuando Los Angeles Lloran (WEA Latina)
- Joel Nava, Joel Nava (Arista Texas)
- Gloria Estefan, Abriendo Puetas (Epic)
- Albita, No Se Parece A Nada (Crescent Moon/Epic)
- Vicente Fernandez, Aunque Me Duele El Alma (Song Discos)
- Alejandro Fernandez, Que Seas Muy Feliz (Song Discos)
- Pete Astudillo, Como Te Extrano (EMI Latin)
- Julio Iglesias, La Carretera (Song Latin)
- La Ley, Invisible (WEA Latina)
- Julian, Siete Mananas (WEA Latina)
- The 1995 National Council of La Raza Bravo Awards will air at 9
p.m. Dec 28 on Fox. Jimmy Smits of NYPD Blue and Jennifer Lopez
co-star of the movie Money Train, hosted the event.
- Also appearing:
- Albita cuban singer
- Kenny Loggins
- Tish Hinojosa from Austin, Tx.
- Ricadro Montalban from Fantasy Island
- Paula Abdul
- Paul Rodriguez
- Gregory Nava who directed Mi Familia
- Anna Thomas
- Jon Seda
- Jacob Vargas of Mi Familia, Mi Vida Loca, Get Shorty
- Jackie Guerra of First Time Out sitcom
- Hector Elizondo
- Elizabeth Pena
- Liz Torres
- Abraham Quintanilla receives an award from Selena
- Barrio Boyzz
I just read in Tejano Review, Thanksgiving edition, that EMI Latin confirms that Stephanie Lynn & High Energy have split up. Stephanie Lynn will begin touring without her dancing brothers. Anybody else hear anything else with regards to this?
This is a major split. They said it had something to do with personal differences.
La Tropa F is now recording with EMI Latin and their new albums is expected out around Feb '96.
Delia Gonzales was one of the honored guests at the First Anniversary Celebration of the Center for Mexican American Studies (CMAS) that was held at the University of Texas at Arlington today. Among other things, she said that after alot of talking, the group decided to call themselves: Delia Y Culturas. She also told me her birthdate so that I may put it on the Tejano Home Page's Birthday List. Her father was kind enough to offer to send me Delia's biography that he's writing for CMAS to put on the Tejano Home Page.
BTW, not only did Dee leave the Culturas band, Kavin (the white sax player) followed Dee, too.
Hector Galan, producer of Songs of the Homeland was another honored guest at CMAS said that he was working a series of Tejano Music called "Journey to ATZLAN". It should be completed by April 1996. Hector Galan was also co-producer of "Chicano". He mentioned that used to played with Sunny and the Sunglows back in the '60s.
Thanks to Doug Shannon for the following correction:
Roland James at KRIO said that Rey C. was Xelencia's keyboardist.
The reason I think it was the singer is because during the announcment, they played a small clip of Xelencia's latest video showing only the singer. But their "Por Tu Celos" CD does not list Rey Cadillos as a member of the band.
Sorry, the local radio station made a mistake. Emilio is going to be on Good Morning Texas, not on Good Morning America.
- State Fair of Texas in Dallas lineup:i
- Mazz on Oct 8
- Emilio Navaira on Oct 22.
- The National Council of La Raza honored Tony Casillas. He used to play for the Cowboys, now plays for the New York Jets.
For information on Selena's Fan Club: Selena's Fan Club P.O. Box 5421 Corpus Christi, Tx 78465-5421
- Tropa F,
- Vikki Carr,
- Joe Lopez of Grupo Mazz,
- Lucha Villa,
- Mariachi Vargas,
- Shelly Lares,
- Roberto Pulido,
- Little Joe,
- Dee & Delia from Culturas and
- Campanas de America.
La Diferenzia - Regional Mexican Album of the Year-New Artist. La Mafia's "Vida" - Pop Song of the Year. Selena's "No Me Queda Mas" - Video of the Year. Selena's "Amor Prohibido" - Album of the Year. - Female Artist. - Song of the Year.
TW LW Artist Title ---------------------------------------------------------------- 1 - 7 Selena.......................Tejano Classics 2 - 4 Selena.......................Entre Mi Mundo 3 - 3 Selena.......................Live 4 - 1 Selena.......................Amor Prohibido 5 - 6 Selena.......................Ven Conmigo 6 - 5 Selena.......................12 Super Exitos 7 - 16 Selena.......................16 Super Exitos 8 - 27 Selena.......................Selena 9 - 55 Selena y Graciela............Reinas Del Puelbo 10 - 198 Zarko........................Hoy Se Casa Mi Amor 11 - 2 Tigres Del Norte.............El Ejemplo 12 - 96 Selena.......................Mis Primeras Grabaciones 13 - 83 Selena.......................Alpha 14 - 79 Selena.......................Munequito De Trapo 15 - 78 Selena.......................Female Vocalist 16 - new Bryndis......................Tu Amor Secreto 17 - new Hometown Boys................Luces De Nueva York 18 - 12 Salgado, Michael.............Cruz De Madera 19 - 9 Elida y Avante...............Atrevete 20 - 20 Intocable....................Fuego Eterno Legend: TW-This Week LW-Last Week