- Jennifer Lopez who plays Selena in the upcoming movie Selena made it in People Magazine's 30 Under 30 Rising Young Stars To Watch. Check out People Weekly Nov. 18, 1996 for more details.
- The first Reina de la Onda Tejana, Laura Canales, will be doing an Aids candlelight visual at the San Juan Shrine in San Juan, TX (near McAllen). on December 1. She will be singing "Cien Oveja" accompanied by her brother playing the guitar. Ms. Canales will be visiting Austin, TX and Phoenix, AZ in the near future. Stay tune for more details.
- "A PURO TEJANO CHRISTMAS" Special spreads holiday cheer in San Antonio
Austin, TX - San Antonio Tejano music fans will spread holiday cheer with their participation in a unique live concert taping, "A PURO TEJANO CHRISTMAS" Special. Produced by Puro Tejano and Arista Latin. "A PURO TEJANO CHRISTMAS" Special features live performances by Flaco Jimenez, La Diferenzia, Joel Nava, Rick Orozco, and Nydia Rojas with Campanas De America.
The concert taping takes place on Wednesday, December 4 at 7:00pm at the Arnesan Theater on San Antonio's River Walk. Admission to the taping is a donation of three cans of food to the San Antonio Food Bank. Tickets will be available at the door, but because this number is limited, it is recommended to get tickets in advance. Advance tickets can be piced up at various drop off points around San Antonio.
- San Antonio Food Bank (4311 Director Dr.) - Gillespie Ford (loop 410 & Culebra Rd.) - Hard Rock Cafe (111 W. Crocket St. -- Nov. 29 & 30 only)
For more information, please call the San Antonio Food Bank at 210/337-3663 ext. 200.
Puro Tejano will broadcast "A PURO TEJANO CHRISTMAS" Special to its syndicated affiliates in two parts on the weekends of December 15 and Deceber 22. The one-hour special will air at later dates in markets across the U.S. throughout the Christmas season.
# # #
Stay tuned to Miller Lite's Puro Tejano for more information or log on to our web site at www.purotejano.com for a list of stations you can watch Puro Tejano.
- Jennifer y los Jetz received a Platinum award last night for selling over 110,000 units of their Dulzura CD. Jennifer Pena who just turned 13 two months ago, is a Honor Roll student had a special surprise by her school pricinple being present when she received her award. She's the youngest female in Tejano music to get this award. They are presently gathering material for their next album. No mention of when that will be.
- Elida Y Avante will be in Ft. Worth at Blockbusters on Friday, Oct. 11.
- Noemy Esparza will in singing at the Dallas State Fair of Texas Oct. 12 at 7 p.m. at the "Celebrate Our Life" exhibit.
- Janet Vargas, a Selena impersonator will be performing at the Dallas State Fair of Texas Oct. 12 at 7 p.m. at the "Celebrate Our Life" exhibit.
- LOS LOBOS is appearing in Concert, Saturday, November 9, 1996 at 8:00 pm at Pershing Auditorium in Lincoln, Nebraska. This concert is a benefit for the Hispanic Community Center. Tickets are available at all TicketMaster locations. Call 475-1212 in Lincoln and 422-1212 in Omaha.
- Elida Y Avante
is having a new CD, Algo Entero, release party at the Hard Rock Cafe in San Antonio, Tuesday
Oct. 8, 1996
- There will be another filming of the Selena movie where they are asking for a large crowd again. This time it's for the re-make of the Monterrey concert that Selena did. This is in Poteet, Tx, just south of San Antonio. It's on Saturday, Oct. 19. An all day event that starts at 9am.
Anna Roman, who calls
Uvalde, Tx home, played at
Tejano Jam in Dallas, last Saturday. After a little bit of bad luck with
the sound system, she managed to
put on a great show. Anna has a new CD out from FonoVisa called Tu.
Keep an eye on here for some photos and a sample of her new CD.
The New Variety Band will be performing at Tejano Jam on Saturday, Oct. 5, 1996. Call 214-747-0804 for more information.
- Last night in San Antonio artists gathered for a benefit album recording.
The album CANTA A LA VIDA is dedicated for AIDS research ...
artists recording were: Robert Pulido, Little Joe, Rick Orozco, Stefani Lynn, Jay Perez, Ruben Ramos, Delia, Joel Guzman ... and more
The CD is expected by November. There's more information about this in
- Left in the Tejano Comments:
Los Dos Gilbertos played in Bakerfield, Ca. August 30, and they were great. After that, I heard they were going to Monterrey, Nuevo Leon. Also, another bank that played along with Los Dos Gilberts was Chalito Zapata y Los Traviesos. I heard that Chalito Zapata y Los Traviesos had just returned from a tour in Japan. This group plays Tejano Music and they are from Indio, Ca. In my opinion, I think they are the number one in the Tejano Music in Southern California.
Another band, also from Indio, that is step up, doing very, very well is the "Tercera Generacion". They are called Tercera Generacion because they are just what it meams. (Their father and grandfather were musicians). They are the youngest band (11-yrs. to 16-yrs.) in Southern California. I know them and their father and Mother personally. Keep an eye on them, within five or ten years, Wow.! Last March they played at the San Antonio fiesta.
Tejano Music in California is off-shooting very well. I remember in the 60's when Isidro Lopez Band used to played here in Santa Ana, Ca. That's enough for this stuff, anyway who wants to hear.?
"Puro Born Tejano"
Sept.25, 1996 at 1:30-a.m California Time.
- Four brothers from Uvalde, Tx form the group Los Palominos. With a gold record already in their back pocket, En Ganador, they seems to be heading with another big one with Duele El Amor recorded at Sony Discos. Previously know as Los Tremendos back before 1989, Los Palominos give La Mafia credit for their success.
- Kansas Tejano junkies have a packed weekend of entertainment.
First, Friday September 13th Fierro from Fort Worth will be playing at Cowtown in Wichita (8pm).
Saturday, the 14th Oscar G at Cowtown.
Sunday, the 15th David Lee Garza will be featured at the Kansas State Fair in Hutchinson (two shows--I believe the shows are at 1 and 3pm).
Finally, back in Wichita (at Cowtown) on the 15th--Oscar G will perform again (5pm). All concerts are free with the exception of a modest gate admission ($4) at the State Fair. Fierro and Oscar G are performing for Wichita's diez y seis fiesta.
Press Release8/28/96 Tejas Records is proud to announce the signing of Tejano sensation Elida y Avante.
"A major goal for the band was to achieve artistic freedom. It took tremendous risks to break out on our own but we recorded an album and pressed the first radio single ourselves. I approached Tejas Records this past week after considering many other labels. We were almonst immediately able to come to an agreement that the band is thrilled with. ELIDA Y AVANTE and Tejas is a team and in that spirit we are going to work together to take "ALGO ENTERO" to the top of the charts." Manager Nikki Sandoval
ELIDA Y AVANTE exploded ono the scene with "ATREVETE". Hit singels like "LUNA LLENA" have become Tejano music favorites. Elida was nominated as "Tejano Entertainer of The Year 1996". Noel is "Tejano Bass Player of the year" and Jamie is "Tejano Drummer of the Year". This year Elida was the recipient of one of Billboard Magazine's most pretigious awards the "Revelacion Del Ano". After climbing the charts, winning many pretigious awards and receiving universal respect, ELIDA Y AVANTE is ready to hit the streets promoting their exciting new record, "ALGO ENTERO". They plan to take their careers to a new level with their own hard work and the hard work and innovative new promotion and marketing efforts from Tejas Records.
"When you listen to "ALGO ENTERO" you'll hear how very special it is. When we play the songs live we get phenomenal response. We put everything on the line for these new songs and Tejas Records was the label that understood that best. I can't tell you how good we feel because suddenly everything is in place." Elida Reyna
Tejas is now working on 2 Full Length Videos, CD-ROMs, WWW Internet Marketing, Promotional Concerts, Merchandise Tie-In Promotions, Major Product Endorsements, a Complete Line of Imprinted Merchandise and much more. Tejas has every intention to talke ELIDA Y AVANTE to the very top of the entertainment industry. ELIDA Y AVANTE has always had the talent, now they have the organization.
Record industry insiders feel that "Algo Entero" will be one of the hottest selling Tejano albums for Christmas of 1996.
A new CD by Elida y Avante is well overdue. I'm sure this CD will be as good if not better than their previous "ATREVETE" CD. Stay tune to La Onda Network for a preview of this new CD soon! ~ WebJefe, Abel M. Hernandez
- Emilio Navaira will be at Six Flags in Arlington, TX, on Sept.
7 at 8pm. $5 plus park admission.
- La Tropa F, Jay Perez, Jennifer Pena, Desperados and Shelly Lares will be at Artist Square
in Dallas on Sept. 14 at 10am & 15 starting at 11am for Fiesta Diez
y Sies. $5 in advance, $7 at the gate. Call 750-0670 for more information.
- Jay Perez, Simply Tejano & Shelly Lares will be at Joe Pool
Lake in Grand Prairie (Dallas), Tx on Sept. 27 at 7pm. Gates open at 5:30pm.
$8, $5 kids. Call 237-8112 for more information.
- Mazz, David Lee Garza, Carlito, Joel Nava, Margo & Roberto Pulido will be at Plaza Mexico in Dallas on Sept. 14 & 15 from 4pm - 11pm.
Concerts in the Dallas area:
Just released or soon to be released CDs:
Tejano Country Ram,Jay,Tropa F,Shelly Lares tejano and country sounds Palominos DUELE EL AMOR boleros,rancheras,and cumbias Chamacos EN VIVO..PURO PARTY LIVE highly anticipated live recording Fandango USA 10TH ANNIVERSARY 15th album and 10th anniversary Nava,Joel SOY OTRO most genuine Tejano party band in Texas Navaira,Emilio QUEDATE undisputed #1 Tejano recording artist Pulido,Bobby ENSENAME hottest Tejano sensation Potente SIEMPRE A MI on their way to super stardom
Order them from Ritmo
Support La Onda Network, thanks!
- Song of the Homeland is airing tonight on PBS. In Dallas that's channel 13 at 7pm and then again at 10:15pm. At 8:30pm Linda Ronstad's Canciones de Mi Padre will be aired.
- Patsy Torres has signed with Joey Records and has a new look and a new CD coming out soon.
- Bobby Pulido finally got married to his old sweetheart from his High School in Edinburg, Tx near McAllen. Intocable played at his wedding. Bobby has a new CD coming out in Sept. and is currently shooting a video on his latest CD: Enseñame.
Call 1-800-671-7447 for more information.
- The Elsa Garcia Doll will be accepted into the Hard Rock Cafe in San Antonio, Tx Thursday August 22 at 6:30pm. For more information about the FIRST DOLL TO BE MADE IN THE IMAGE OF AN ARTIST IN THE HISPANIC MUSIC SCENE:
- Lo mas reciente de Elsa Garcia sale al mercado en Octuber. "COMO
TU Y YO"
PARA MAS INFORMACION LLAME:
- ON THE ROAD:
- 22-23 San Antonio, Tx
- 24 Dallas, Tx
- 30-31 Florida
- 1-2 Florida
- La Gira de Mexico ya se esta programando!
Michigan Tejano Happenings
The L.U.L.A.C. Scholarship Awards Banquet will be Sunday, August 25, 1996 in the Doan Center of Saginaw Valley State University at 1:30pm.
The 21st Annual Mexican Festival in Pontiac, MI. This event will be held August 23, 24 & 25 at the Phoenix Center Plaza. Headlining this event will be Juan P. Moreno. Also performing: Sangra Nueva, Yvonne y Kaliman, Los Desastres de Norte, Pacion, Gaby & Tuyyo, Los Amigos Fabulosos, DJ Rick Rock, DJ Jimmy Barriors & Henry Vasquez as "Elvis".
El Dieciseis de Septiembre (The 16th of September). The Union Civica Mexica will host a 3-day celebration. It begins with a dance on Friday, September 13th with Tejano Award winning Los Bandits Grupo de Kalamazoo. For more information call (517) 752-4225.
El Farolitos's 115 N. Hamilton, Saginaw, MI. DJ music 4 night's a week. Check out some of the areas hottest Disc Jockey's such as DJ Henry Hernadez & Rick Rock Entertainment. Call (517) 799-8959.
Casa Banda, 2510 Genesee, Saginaw, MI. New on Thursday's DJ "Jay Cepeda". Come and see the hottest in Live Tejano Entertainment every Friday & Saturday. Sunday Nites with DJ's Tejano T.C.T. Call (517) 753-2222.
Well Mi Raza, keep cool in the sun and have a lot of fun. If you have an event in which you would like to announce call me at (517) 777-9373. Til next month, Paz y Amor!
Frank Medel Jr. (517) 777-9373 Medel1@AOL.COM
|The 1st Annual
Tejano Connection Music Awards
Wednesday, Aug. 14th - Beginning at 7pm sharp!!!
MC's for the event:
- Delia Gonzales de Culturas and
- Johnny Bustamante de La Band
Scheduled to Perform:
- Latin Express
- Texas Fire
- Santa Fe: Tejano Style
- Noemy Esparza
- Rey Reyna & Aftershock
- Stand up comedian Jamie Hernandez
Special Appearance by:
- Gary Hobbs
- The Bonitas Girls
- Various Radio & TV personalities
Tickets on Sale - INFO: 214-885-7594
Click HERE for more information.
- PRESS RELEASE
THE ELSA GARCIA DOLL
The Elsa Garcia doll is the very first doll made by a company for any Latino Artist and it will he unveiled with a special showcase for a worldwide exclusive presentation. This event will take place in Houston, Texas at the KQQK'S SUMMER JAM being held at the GEORGE L BROWN CONVENTION CENTER on July 27, 1996. The Tejano Market today is now known to be the biggest ever and this event confirms it with RECORD BREAKING PRESALES.
This ELSA GARCIA DOLL is a special collector's edition and is a significant reflection of the impact of the Tejano Music Industry in the present time. Other similar projects that were in the American Music Industry were the New Kids on the Block, Michael Jackson and Elvis Presley.
This the perfect opportunity for the latino public to show their support not only for the Talented and lovely ELSA GARCIA, but for the LATINO MUSIC INDUSTRY as well. Plans are underway with the TTMA so that part of the proceeds will go to the TTMA HALL OF FAME.
The $14.99 Elsa Garcia Doll will be available around the middle of August. Orders can be placed by calling 1-800-443-ELSA.
is causing Chills wherever they go. This group that records with
Q Productions, are on their way up with their current hit Veronica
being #15 on Radio Musica charts.
The drummer (Alex), singer (Bobby) and one of the keyboard player (David) are brothers and also are newphews of Joe Lopez of the grupo Mazz. The other keyboard player is Gary Beltran who used to play with Imagen Latina and the guitar player used to be with Oxygeno.
Escalofrio will continue on their Texas tour in Houston on Aug. 14 in El Dorado Gallery. They will be giving away copies of their CD, T-Shirts and special design jackets. Special guest's Lobos IV will be performing at the concert as well.
Tonight on Onda Max, Escalofrio will be interviewed along with another great Tejano group, Chikko, at AB III's glamorous house/studio. On July 28, Escalofrio will be a special guest at the San Antonio Hispanic Heritage Month Fair.
- Johnny Canales' U Got It Awards was a huge success. A little
too hot, but none the less the audience was very enthusiastic. It was hard
to get the crowd from gathering at the foot of the stage who demanded to
be close to their favorite groups.
Michael Salgado and La Tropa F drew a very great response from the audience. In fact, at least 15 women went up to Michael Salgado for a kiss. Security had to step in and stop what seemed like a never ending line of women wanting their turn with Michael.
A few schedule groups didn't show up, but there was still plenty of entertainment.
The show was taped for broadcasting later during the year. Photos from this event will be posted here in a day or two.
Que tal Sr. Abel, le vuelve a saludar su servidor y amigo Jeszs Ibarra desde los micrsfonos del 89.7 Radio Universidad, le voy a pasar los datos de la gira que andan realizando los grupos tejanos por Monterrey:
- Bobby Pulido Tour '96
- 19-Jul-Concierto en el Far West Rodeo en Monterrey,Nuevo Lesn,
- 20-Jul-Baile en el Hacienda Casino junto con el grupo Pesado, Fama y el Grupo Duroz en Escobedo Nuevo Lesn.
- 21-Jul-Baile en el Rodeo de Zuazua , Nuevo Lesn alternando con Intocable y Grupo Fama en Zuazua Nuevo Lesn/
- Fama Tour '96
- 19-Jul-Baile en el Rodeo de Medianoche , alternando con el Grupo Palomos, en Hunala, Apodaca Nuevo Lesn.
- 20-Baile en Hacienda CAsino
- 21-Baile en el Rodeo de Zuazua Nuevo Lesn
- Potente Tour '96
- 19-Jul-Baile en el Corral Western Club, en Ciudad Guadalupe Nuevo Lesn.
- 20-Jul-Baile en el Centro Social Majo en Escobedo Nuevo Lesn,
There is going to be festival at 205 W. Pecan, Lockhart Texas It is on Friday July 26 thru July 28 Friday from 8:00pm to 12:00 midmight. Music by FAMA Saturday July 27th Music by: Shelly Lares 8:30pm -12:30 am Sunday July 28th Music by: David Marez 6:30 pm -10:30 Admission: Into the grounds $2.00 per night Seniors(65 or older free) Children under 12 free (Children must be accompained by an Adult) This festival is their main annual fundraiser event for St.Mary's church in Lockhart. Also Puro Tejano will be there to videotape Friday and Saturday's night events. One of our local Austin TV station will be video taping the event on Friday. If anyone needs additional information they can contact. Ms. Becky Lockhart St. Mary's Church (512)398-4649
- The ex-keyboard player of Mazz has gone off and started his own group called Brando. He had been with Mazz for about twelve years. Currently he has a hit out called Mi Ultimo Adios with a CD by the same name through FonoVisa.
- Dee Burleson y Grupo Vivo have signed up with BMG and plan to come out with a new CD around August.
- Los Palominos have a GOLD album on their hands now with their El Ganador CD.